Below is a list of Veeam file extensions with an explanation for each. I use this list for studying for various Veeam tests.
- VBK – full backup file
- VIB – incremental backup file
- VRB – reverse incremental backup file
- (I think VBR is a miss-print you may see on the web)
- VBM – replica metadata file
- BCO – configuration backup file
- DEM – private and public encryption key – Enterprise manager
- VSB – virtual synthetic backup (pointers to backup data blocks)
- VLB – database logs
- DIT – active directory database file
- MDF – Microsoft SharePoint content database file
- EDB – Microsoft Exchange mailbox database
- ERM – Scale out backup repository
- RCT and MRT – used to complement CBT data with Microsoft Hyper-V 2016 RCT (Resilient Changed Tracking)
- CTP – info on data blocks that have changed for Hyper-V replication from a Veeam proprietary driver.
I found this information in my VMCE-95 textbook, and in Veeam’s online documentation.
This extension list is part of my Veeam Study Guide.